Too many traffic tickets (moving violations)

What happens if I receive too many traffic tickets?

If you're ticketed for too many moving violations within a specific period of time:

  • Your license will be suspended, or
  • You'll get a warning letter.

Your license will be suspended if you get more tickets during the 1 year period.

Suspended license

If you're ticketed for:

  • 6 moving violations in a 12 month period, or
  • 7moving violations in a 24-month period,

Your license will be suspended for 60 days. There is a 1year probation period following the suspension.

During probation, if you're ticketed for another moving violation your license will be suspended for 30 days for each offense and your 1 year probation will start over.

Note: Remember to keep your address current so we can notify you of any changes to your driving status. Within 10 days of moving, please:

How do I get my license back?

To get your license back when the suspension is over:

  1. Provide us with a proof of financial responsibility (SR-22) insurance certificate.
  2. Apply for a new license.
    • You'll be required to pay a $75 reissue fee in addition to your other licensing fees.

Get step-by-step instructions

There may be other issues you'll need to take care of to get your license back. To find out what you need to do, see Learn how to reinstate your license.

Can I get a restricted license while my license is suspended?

While your driver license is suspended, you may be eligible for an Occupational/Restricted License (ORL) that will allow you drive to work or other necessary appointments until the suspension is over.

Can I contest or appeal the suspension?

You may appeal the suspension within 15 days from the date on your notification letter. The letter we sent to you includes a form for you to appeal the suspension.

What will be considered during my appeal?

  • Whether you received 6 moving violations in a 12-month period.
  • Whether you received 7 moving violations in a 24-month period.
  • Whether you received additional moving violations while on probation.

For more information about appealing or contesting your suspension, please see Hearings.

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Call us: 360.902.3900 (TTY: Call 711)

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-902-3900
(TTY: Call 711)
Was this information helpful?