Child support

Why was my license suspended?

The Washington State Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) notified us that you aren't in compliance with your child support order.

What happens when my license is suspended?

  • When we receive notification from DSHS, we suspend your driver license and mail you a suspension letter explaining the action and how to reinstate your license.
  • You may not drive a motor vehicle until your license is reinstated.
  • If you have a Washington driver license, you must return it to any of our driver licensing offices.

What if my driver license is from a state other than Washington?

During this suspension:

  • You aren't eligible to apply for a Washington driver license.
  • You may not drive in Washington with your out-of-state driver license.

How long will my license be suspended?

Your license will be suspended until DSHS notifies us that you are in compliance with your child support order.

Can I get a restricted license?

No, you can't be issued any type of driver license during this suspension.

Can I contest or appeal the suspension?

No, there is no appeal or administrative review process for a child support suspension.

How can I get my license back?

  1. Call DSHS at 800.457.6202.
  2. When DSHS notifies us that you're in compliance with your child support order, we'll release the suspension and mail you a letter telling you that the suspension has been released.
  3. After your suspension has been released, apply for a new driver license.
    • You'll be required to pay a $75 reissue fee in addition to your other licensing fees.

Get step-by-step instructions

There may be other issues you'll need to take care of to get your license back. To find out what you need to do, see Learn how to reinstate your license.

Related laws

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Call us: 360.902.3900 (TTY: Call 711)

Was this information helpful?