Agricultural permits for driving (under 18 years old)

Agricultural permits allow drivers under 18 years old to drive within a specific area for farm work.

Permits are regulated by the WA Department of Labor and Industries Agricultural Jobs for Youth.

How to get an agricultural permit

1. Pre-apply online to save time at our office.

Join or log in to License eXpress to get a Washington driver license number.

2. Complete these forms:

3. Provide a detailed map outlining the farm, roads, silos, and fields where you'll be driving.

4. Submit your forms and map:

5. Make an appointment to take your knowledge and skill test at a driver licensing office.

Once you pass both tests, you'll:

  • Answer a medical question
  • Pass a vision screening
  • Pay the fees
  • Receive your temporary permit (you must carry your temporary permit until you receive your card in the mail)

Changing the farming area on your permit

If you transfer to a new farm or start driving in a new area:

  1. Email a new Agricultural Permit Questionnaire (English, Español, Русский, and more) and a map outlining the new area to
  2. Once it's approved, we'll send you an email.

Renewing your agricultural permit

Your permit is valid for 1 year or until you're 18, whichever comes first. Make an appointment to renew at a driver licensing office and pay the renewal fees.

Frequently asked questions

Can I take the drive test at my local driver training school?

No, you'll need to make an appointment to take the test at a driver licensing office.

Can I use my agricultural permit to drive to school or run personal errands?

No, all your driving must be related to farm work.

Can I have passengers in the vehicle with me?

Yes, but only if you're transporting them in connection with farm work.

What happens if I get a ticket for violating the restrictions of my permit?

Your permit can be suspended, revoked, or canceled.

Do I still need to take a driver training course before I can get my driver license?

Yes, your permit only allows you to drive within a specific area. It doesn't meet the requirements for completing a driver training program.

I have an agricultural permit. Do I need to get an instruction permit too?

Yes. An agricultural permit is not a substitution for an instruction permit. You must still have an instruction permit for at least 6 months and meet all driving practice requirements before you can get your first driver license.

Does the time I drive with an agricultural permit count toward the time I'm required to have an instruction permit before I get my license?

No, you still need to have an instruction permit for 6 months and meet all the other requirements for getting your first driver license.

Will I need to take the knowledge and drive tests again when I get my driver license?

You won't need to retake them as long as the scores for your:

  • knowledge test isn't more than 2 years old, and
  • drive test isn't more than 1 year old

If your test scores are older, you'll have to retake the tests before you get your driver license.

If I have an intermediate driver’s license, do I need to get an agricultural permit so I can drive to my farm job between the hours of 1 a.m. and 5 a.m.?

You are allowed to drive with your intermediate driver’s license at any hour if necessary for agricultural purposes. You are not eligible for an agricultural permit if you already have an intermediate driver’s license.

Related information

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-902-3900
(TTY: Call 711)
Was this information helpful?