Learn how to get your telephone solicitor license, what documents you'll need to apply, and how to change your address if you move.
Who needs a license?
You need a license for each location of a business that makes unsolicited commercial telephone calls and sells goods or products during the call or any business that offers free prizes by mail and invites a telephone response.
- Any business soliciting for educational, political, or charitable purposes
- Any business that sells to businesses that either resell the product or use it for manufacturing
How to apply
There are two ways to apply for your telephone solicitor license. You can choose to apply online or by mail.
Note: We issue this license, but the Department of Revenue's Business Licensing Service (BLS) processes it. BLS prints it on the business license they provide. They refer to licenses we issue as endorsements to the business license.
Apply online with the Department of Revenue.
Apply by mail
- Complete the Business License Application, Commercial Telephone Solicitor Supplemental Information and supporting documents shown below.
- Mail the completed forms with a check/money order payable to the Department of Revenue for the applicable BLS fees and the commercial telephone solicitor license fee to:
State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507–9034
What you'll need to apply
- Supporting documents shown below, ready for upload
- Visa, MasterCard, or American Express credit/debit card (transaction fee charged) or bank account information for E-check to pay your commercial telephone solicitor license fee and applicable BLS fees
Supporting documents to submit
You must complete a Personal/Criminal History Statement for each manager who is in charge of the business operations at the location and for persons other than the manager, depending on your business structure:
- Sole proprietor – 1 for the proprietor
- Partnership – 1 for each partner
- Limited Partnership – 1 for the general partner
- Corporation – 1 for each officer (president, vice president, secretary, and treasurer)
- Limited Liability Company – 1 for each member or manager
If you have any criminal convictions or civil judgments in any jurisdiction within the past 5 years, you can provide documentation to support your explanation of the circumstances.
Post your license
You must post a license at each location where you operate. You may not begin this business activity until you receive the required license.
How to change your name or address
If you move or your address changes, or you change your name or business name, please contact us to update your license.