Find out what the requirements are and how to renew a tattoo, body piercing, body art, or permanent cosmetic artist license.
Get your license faster! Renew or update your license online.
How to renew
- License expires every year.
- You can renew up to 120 days before your license expires.
- There is a late fee if you don't renew before the expiration.
- If your license has been expired for more than a year, it will be canceled and you must reapply.
- We consider you unlicensed if your license expires or gets canceled. You can receive a fine for engaging in unlicensed activity.
Gather the necessary documents
- Your license number.
- Expiration date of your bloodborne pathogens certificate.
- Payment for the renewal fee.
- If needed, documents for legal background questions, ready to upload.
Renew your license online
Update your contact information online, if necessary, before you renew your license.
Log into your SecureAccess Washington account to use our Professional Business and Licensing Service.
Renew your license by mail
Follow the instructions on your renewal notice.
No renewal notice?
Complete a Body Art, Body Piercing, Tattoo Artist, Permanent Cosmetics License, Renewal or Reinstatement Application, available in the following languages:
Mail your form and a check or money order (payable to the Department of Licensing) for the appropriate renewal fee and license print fee if applicable to:
Tattoo, Body Art, Body Piercing Program
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3856
Seattle WA 98124-3856
Get email updates
Subscribe to our mailing list to get the latest rule changes and licensing updates by email.