Temporary permit: Real estate appraisers

Learn how you can get a temporary permit if you have an appraisal assignment in Washington and are licensed or certified with another state.

Who needs a license?

Anyone who has an active appraiser license in another state with an assignment to appraise real property in Washington.

How to apply

Make sure you meet the requirements and follow the steps below to apply for an appraiser temporary permit.

1. Meet the requirements

To get a temporary permit, you must:

  • Be a licensed or certified real estate appraiser actively licensed in another state
  • Have an assignment contract to provide appraisal services for all types of real property in Washington

2. Complete and gather the necessary documents

You must complete a Real Estate Appraiser Temporary Practice Application form. This form is only available in English. You must sign this form in the presence of a notary public.


  • A copy of your assignment contract
  • Any required documents named on the application

3. Submit your application

Submit your application online


You'll receive your license faster by applying and paying online.

Log into SecureAccess Washington or create an account to apply, upload your paperwork, and pay the temporary permit fee.

Submit your application by mail

Mail your form(s) and a check or money order (payable to the Department of Licensing) for the non-refundable temporary permit fee to:

Real Estate Appraiser
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3777
Seattle, WA 98124-3777

Temporary permit limits

We will only issue one permit is issued per assignment contract. We will not issue more than 3 permits can be issued in a calendar year.

Temporary permit expiration dates and extensions

A temporary permit is valid for no more than 6 months from the issue date.

Permits may be extended if we receive a written request at least 2 weeks before the expiration.

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-664-6504
Was this information helpful?