Learn the requirements and how to get an unarmed security guard license.
Who needs a license?
Anyone who doesn't carry a firearm while working on duty for a licensed private security guard company.
How to apply
1. Meet the requirements
To be licensed as an armed private security guard, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be a United States citizen or resident alien
- Be employed by, or have a job offer from, a licensed private security guard company
- Complete the pre-assignment training requirements
2. Submit fingerprints
Submit your fingerprints for state and national background checks.
- Inside Washington: Schedule an appointment through Identogo, our electronic fingerprinting vendor. You'll pay a fee for the fingerprinting service and background checks required for your license type.
- Outside Washington: Please contact your local law enforcement agency to complete the fingerprint submission process.
For more details, read about fingerprinting and background checks.
3. Submit your application
You can apply online or by mail.
Apply for your license online
You'll receive your license faster by applying and paying online.
Don't have a SAW account? Learn how to create a SAW account.
Apply for your license by mail
Mail your completed Private Security Guard Initial License Application form and a check or money order for the application fee (payable to the Department of Licensing) to:
Private Security Guard Program
Department of Licensing
PO Box 35001
Seattle, WA 98124-3401