Get your license: Security guards (unarmed)

Learn the requirements and how to get an unarmed security guard license.

Who needs a license?

Anyone who doesn't carry a firearm while working on duty for a licensed private security guard company.

How to apply

1. Meet the requirements

To be licensed as an armed private security guard, you must:

  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Be a United States citizen or resident alien
  • Be employed by, or have a job offer from, a licensed private security guard company
  • Complete the pre-assignment training requirements

2. Submit your application

You can apply online or by mail.

Apply for your license online

You'll receive your license faster by applying and paying online.

Log into SecureAccess Washington (SAW)

Don't have a SAW account? Learn how to create a SAW account.

Apply for your license by mail

Mail your completed Private Security Guard Initial License Application form and a check or money order for the application fee (payable to the Department of Licensing) to:

Private Security Guard Program
Department of Licensing
PO Box 35001
Seattle, WA 98124-3401

3. Submit fingerprints

Submit your fingerprints for state and national background checks.

  • Inside Washington: Schedule an appointment through Identogo, our electronic fingerprinting vendor. You'll pay a fee for the fingerprinting service and background checks required for your license type.
  • Outside Washington: Please contact your local law enforcement agency to complete the fingerprint submission process. 

For more details, read about fingerprinting and background checks.

For veterans, military personnel, and partners

Your military experience or training might help you meet licensing requirements. You may also be able to get a temporary license if you're moving here with a current license from another state. Learn more about using your military training to meet professional license requirements.

If you're a U.S. veteran, you may be eligible for partial reimbursement of your fees. Learn more about getting reimbursed for fees.

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-664-6611
(TTY: Call 711)
mail Email:
Was this information helpful?