Get your license: Scrap metal suppliers

Learn how to get your scrap metal supplier license and find out when it expires.

Who needs a license?

  • You must have a scrap metal supplier license if you are in the business of buying or receiving non-vehicle scrap metal so you can sell it to processors or recyclers and don't have a fixed business location.
  • Vehicles that are used to conduct business must have scrap metal business license plates.

This license doesn't allow you to handle scrap metal from titled or registered vehicles. If you process scrap metal from vehicles, you'll need a vehicle motor vehicle salvage processor license instead.

How to apply

After receiving approval from your local authority, follow the steps below to apply for a scrap metal supplier license. 

1. Complete the required documents 

Complete these documents to apply for your business license: 

2. Submit your application 

Apply for your license online 

You'll receive your license faster by applying and paying online. 

Apply online at the Department of Revenue's website. 

Apply for your license by mail 

Mail your approved license addendum, completed forms, and a check or money order for the license and plate fees (payable to the Department of Revenue) to: 

Department of Revenue 
Business Licensing Service 
PO Box 9034 
Olympia, WA 98507-9034 

Note: If you have a change of name or address, please submit a Scrap Metal Processor/Recycler/Supplier Name or Address Change form and all required documentation to the Department of Revenue. 

Expiration dates

  • Licenses are valid for 1 year. Your scrap metal supplier license will expire the same day as your business license. We may need to adjust your initial license fees so the expiration date on your license matches the dates on your other business licenses.
  • Special license plates issued to your business expire on the same date as your business license.

Related information

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-705-6741
(TTY: Call 711)
fax Fax: 360-705-6699
mail Email:
Was this information helpful?