Get your license: Scrap metal recyclers

Learn who needs to get a scrap metal recycler license and how to get it online or by mail.

Who needs a license?

You must have a scrap metal recycler license if you are in the business of buying or receiving non-vehicle scrap metal so you can sell it to another scrap metal business and have a fixed business location.

This license doesn't allow you to handle scrap metal from titled or registered vehicles. If you process scrap metal from vehicles, you'll need a motor vehicle salvage processor license instead.

How to apply

After receiving approval from your local authority, follow the steps below to apply for a scrap metal recycler license. 

1. Complete the required documents 

Complete these documents to apply for your business license: 

2. Submit your application 

Apply for your license online

You'll receive your license faster by applying and paying online. 

Apply online at the Department of Revenue's website. 

Apply for your license by mail

Mail your approved license addendum, completed forms, and a check or money order for the license and plate fees (payable to the Department of Revenue) to: 

Department of Revenue 
Business Licensing Service 
PO Box 9034 
Olympia, WA 98507-9034 

Note: If you have a change of name or address, please submit a Scrap Metal Processor/Recycler/Supplier Name or Address Change form and all required documentation to the Department of Revenue. 

License your locations and vehicles

  • Each business location must be registered separately.
  • Vehicles used to conduct business must have scrap metal business license plates.

Expiration dates

  • Licenses are valid for 1 year. Your scrap metal recycler license will expire the same day as your business license. We may need to adjust your initial license fees so the expiration date on your license matches the dates on your other business licenses.
  • Special license plates issued to your business expire on the same date as your business license.

Related information

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-705-6741
(TTY: Call 711)
fax Fax: 360-705-6699
mail Email:
Was this information helpful?