Learn how to get a landscape architect license if you have an accredited degree.
Who needs a license?
You can apply for this license if you have a bachelor's or master's degree in landscape architecture from a university recognized by the Landscape Architect Accreditation Board (LAAB).
How to apply
Follow the steps below to get your landscape architect license.
1. Meet the requirements
To get your landscape architect license, you must:
- Contact the Council of Landscape Architectural Registration Boards (CLARB) to register for Landscape Architect Registration Examination (LARE).
- Take and pass all divisions of LARE.
- If you don't pass a division of the exam the first time, you can retest until you pass. However, after you pass your first division, you must pass all divisions of the exam within 5 years.
2. Transmit your CLARB record
After successfully completing LARE, have CLARB transmit your record to our office by emailing email@example.com.
3. Take the Landscape Architect Law Review Exam
Next, you must complete, sign, and date a Landscape Architect Law Review Exam. You must score 100% to pass.
4. Submit your application
Lastly, you will submit your application and pay the license fees either online or by mail.
Apply for your license online
You'll receive your license faster by applying and paying online.
Don't have a SAW account? Learn how to create a SAW account.
Apply for your license by mail
Mail a Landscape Architect License Application (complete sections 1, 3, and 5), your Landscape Architecture Law Review Exam, and a check or money order (payable to the Department of Licensing) for the application and license fees to:
Board of Licensure for Landscape Architects
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3777
Seattle, WA 98124-3777
Get email updates
Subscribe to our mailing list to get the latest rule changes, licensing updates, and board notices by email.