Get your license: Landscape architect with accredited degree

Learn how to get a landscape architect license if you have an accredited degree.

Who needs a license?

You can apply for this license if you have a bachelor's or master's degree in landscape architecture from a university recognized by the Landscape Architect Accreditation Board (LAAB).

How to apply

Follow the steps below to get your landscape architect license.

1. Meet the requirements

To get your landscape architect license, you must:

  • Contact the Council of Landscape Architectural Registration Boards (CLARB) to register for Landscape Architect Registration Examination (LARE).
  • Take and pass all divisions of LARE.
  • If you don't pass a division of the exam the first time, you can retest until you pass. However, after you pass your first division, you must pass all divisions of the exam within 5 years.

2. Transmit your CLARB record

After successfully completing LARE, have CLARB transmit your record to our office by emailing

3. Take the Landscape Architect Law Review Exam

Next, you must complete, sign, and date a Landscape Architect Law Review Exam. You must score 100% to pass.

4. Submit your application

Lastly, you will submit your application and pay the license fees either online or by mail.

Apply for your license online

You'll receive your license faster by applying and paying online.

Log into SecureAccess Washington (SAW)

Don't have a SAW account? Learn how to create a SAW account.

Apply for your license by mail

Mail a Landscape Architect License Application (complete sections 1, 3, and 5), your Landscape Architecture Law Review Exam, and a check or money order (payable to the Department of Licensing) for the application and license fees to:

Board of Licensure for Landscape Architects
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3777
Seattle, WA 98124-3777

Get email updates

Subscribe to our mailing list to get the latest rule changes, licensing updates, and board notices by email.

For veterans, military personnel, and partners

Your military experience or training might help you meet licensing requirements. You may also be able to get a temporary license if you're moving here with a current license from another state. Learn more about using your military training to meet professional license requirements.

If you're a U.S. veteran, you may be eligible for partial reimbursement of your fees. Learn more about getting reimbursed for fees.

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-664-1497
(TTY: Call 711)
mail Email:
Was this information helpful?