Learn the requirements and how to get your hulk hauler business license endorsement.
You must follow all applicable laws and rules, even if they're not covered below.
Who needs a license?
You must be licensed to transport or sell wrecked vehicles to wreckers or motor vehicle salvage processors.
Before you apply
Before applying for your license, you must get zoning approval for your business and an inspection of your business site.
Fill out the Vehicle Transport/Disposal Certification and Approval form
Download or print the Vehicle Transport/Disposal Addendum.
Complete section A of the Vehicle Transport/Disposal Certification and Approval form.
Get zoning approval
Have your local zoning authority complete and sign section B of the Vehicle Transport/Disposal Certification and Approval form.
Schedule an inspection
Before you apply for a license, a law enforcement officer must inspect your business site.
- If you're in a city with more than 5,000 people, contact your local police chief to schedule an inspection
- If you're in a city with less than 5,000 people, schedule an inspection with the Washington State Patrol
The inspector must complete and sign section C of the Vehicle Transport/Disposal Certification and Approval form.
How to apply
After you get zoning approval and your inspection is complete, follow the steps below to apply for a hulk hauler license.
Note: We issue this license, but the Department of Revenue's Business Licensing Service (BLS) processes it. BLS prints it on the business license they provide. They refer to licenses we issue as endorsements to the business license.
1. Complete the required documents
Complete these documents to apply for your business license:
- Business License Application (mail applications only)
- Vehicle Transport/Disposal Addendum (if you're applying online, you only need to complete the Vehicle Transport/Disposal Certification and Approval form and have it signed by the appropriate authorities)
- Personal/Criminal History Statement
2. Review the checklist
3. Submit your application
You must pay the hulk hauler license and plate fees to the Department of Revenue when you apply. Choose the method that works best for you.
Apply for your license online
You'll receive your license faster by applying and paying online.
Apply online at the Department of Revenue's website.
Apply for your license by mail
Mail your forms and a check or money order for the license and plate fees (payable to the Department of Revenue) to:
Department of Revenue
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034