Learn how to apply for a firearms dealer license.
Who needs a license?
Anyone who sells firearms wholesale or retail must have a federal firearms dealer license.
How to apply
- Contact the law enforcement agency of the jurisdiction where your business is located.
- The law enforcement agency will tell you what documents you need and where to get them.
About the application process
- You must be fingerprinted and pass a background check.
- It takes around 30–60 days to get your firearm dealer license.
- Your license is valid for 1 year from the date of issue.
- The firearms dealer license fee is $125.
- If your employees handle firearms, they must also pass background checks.
- If you move your business, you must notify your local law enforcement agency to get a replacement dealer license.
- If you open additional stores, contact your local law enforcement for dealer license requirements.
- Terms defined (RCW 9.41.010)
- Dealer's licenses, by whom granted, conditions, fees — Employees, fingerprinting and background checks — Wholesale sales excepted — Permits prohibited (RCW 9.41.110)
- Penalties (RCW 9.41.810)