Get your license: Driver training school staff certificate

Learn who needs a driver training school staff certificate, and how to apply.

Who needs a staff certificate?

Any driver training school employee who:

  • Has unsupervised contact with students
  • Enters data into the Secure Access Washington (SAW) portal on behalf of the students
  • Enters test scores into the SAW portal on behalf of the school

How to apply

Follow the steps below to get your staff certificate.

1. Submit your application online

Apply for your staff certificate online using your SecureAccess Washington account. You'll pay the licensing fee when you apply.

Log into SecureAccess Washington (SAW)

Don't have an account? Learn how to create an account

2. Schedule fingerprinting

Go to to schedule an appointment through Idemia, our electronic fingerprinting vendor. You will pay IdentoGO for taking your fingerprints and for the background checks required for your license type.

Learn more about fingerprinting and background checks.

After we receive your application

We’ll process your application and wait for the results from the Washington State Patrol for state and national background checks. This can take up to 6 weeks.

Maintaining and renewing your staff certificate

You must pay a $12 background check fee each year to maintain your staff certificate. We will send you a notification with information on how to pay this fee when it's due.

You must renew your driver training school staff certificate every 5 years.

For veterans, military personnel, and partners

Your military experience or training might help you meet licensing requirements. You may also be able to get a temporary license if you're moving here with a current license from another state. Learn more about using your military training to meet professional license requirements.

If you're a U.S. veteran, you may be eligible for partial reimbursement of your fees. Learn more about getting reimbursed for fees.

Related laws

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-902-3703
(TTY: Call 711)
mail Email:
Was this information helpful?