Learn how to get an endorsement to provide training to those wanting to become driver training instructors.
Anyone who provides training to those who will provide driver training instruction needs a trainer endorsement.
How to get your endorsement
Follow these steps to get your endorsement to train driving instructors.
1. Gather the required documentation
You must submit documentation that you meet at least one of the following criteria:
Have 1000 hours of experience providing traffic safety education in the last year.
Have 5 years of previous experience providing traffic safety education.
Have all of the following:
- 1000 hours or 5 years of experience in the field of traffic safety,
- Proof of training in how to teach and train others, and
- At least 300 hours of previous experience in training others
2. Submit your application
You can apply for a trainer endorsement online. You’ll need a SecureAccess Washington (SAW) account to apply online.
Don't have a SAW account? Learn how to create a SAW account.
After you log in
From your instructor dashboard, submit a “Manage Endorsement” Account Maintenance Request (AMR).
3. Allow us to process your application
We will review the documentation you submit to ensure that it meets the requirements. Please allow 7-10 days for processing.
4. Make sure your school has an approved curriculum
Before you can begin teaching you must be sure that your school has an approved Driver Training School (DTS) Instructor Curriculum on file with us.