Get your license: Cosmetology school or postsecondary school

Learn the requirements and how to apply for a license to operate a cosmetology school.

Who needs a license?

Anyone who operates an establishment in Washington that offers instruction in cosmetology, barbering, esthetics, manicuring, hair design, master esthetics, or instructor-trainee to students.

How to apply

Follow the steps below to get your cosmetology or postsecondary school license.

1. File with the Department of Revenue

File a business license application with the Department of Revenue (DOR) to get a Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number. Once you receive your UBI you can apply for your license.

2. Gather required documents


Documents to have on hand:

  • Lease agreement
  • School's enrollment agreement/contract
  • School's catalog and curriculum for each course
  • School's student monthly activity reports for each course
  • Student financial aid notification certification form
  • Liability insurance
  • Signed fire inspection report from the local fire authority indicating all requirements have been met
  • Current floor plan of school
  • Documentation of directors' or administrators' business administration experience

3. Submit your application

You can submit your application online or by mail.

Submit your application online

Get your license faster by applying and paying online!

Log into SecureAccess Washington (SAW)

Don't have a SAW account? Learn how to create a SAW account.

Submit your application by mail

Complete a Cosmetologist, Hair Designer, Barber, Manicurist, Esthetician, Master Esthetician, or Instructor School License Application.

Mail your form(s) and a check or money order for the license fee (payable to the Department of Licensing) to:

Cosmetology Program
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3856
Seattle, WA 98124-3856

Post your license

You must post your school licenses in the reception area of the school.

Get email updates

Subscribe to our mailing list to get the latest rule changes, licensing updates, and board notices by email.

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-664-6651
(TTY: Call 711)
mail Email:
Was this information helpful?