Reporting collision damage

Find out if you need to report a collision, how to file a report, and what collision information goes on your driving record.

Who files the collision report?

If a law enforcement officer investigates the collision:

  • The investigating officer will file a collision report.
  • You don't need to file one.

If no law enforcement officer investigates the collision:

  • Each driver involved in the collision must submit a report within 4 days of the collision.
  • Submit a report online or get collision report forms from your local police department, county sheriff's office, or Washington State Patrol district office.

Collision information included on a driving record

In any collisions where there was bodily injury or at least $1,000 in property damage to any one person's property, the following information is added to the driving record of all drivers involved:

  • The collision date
  • The number of vehicles involved
  • Whether the vehicles were moving or not
  • Whether the collision resulted in any injury or fatality
  • Accident report number

This information only indicates the person was involved in a collision, not who caused it.

How to report uncompensated damages from a collision with an uninsured driver

If an uninsured driver fails to pay collision damages, you may report it to us by completing a Motor Vehicle Claim for Damages within 180 days of the collision.

  • The collision must have resulted in at least $1,000 in property damages or an injury.
  • Requests must contain copies of estimates and receipts to support what is being reported.
  • Requests without the required supporting documentation will not be processed.
  • If the uninsured driver fails to pay, we may suspend their driver license.

How to get a copy of a collision report

If you would like a copy of the collision report you or a law enforcement officer completed, you may request a copy from Washington State Patrol.

Related laws

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-902-3900
(TTY: Call 711)
Was this information helpful?