Learn how to apply for access to our online system to manage unresolved traffic citations (UTCs).
What is IHPS?
The Internet Query System (IHPS) allows courts to electronically update Department of Licensing records with unresolved traffic citation (UTC) information. It provides:
- The ability to adjudicate UTCs
- A list of all UTCs per driver, including court contact information
- Relicensing requirements
Access to IHPS
IHPS requires a digital certificate through Transact Washington or registration through Secure Access Washington. It can be used only by:
- Local, state, and federal government agencies
- Municipal, district, and superior courts
How to apply for IHPS
- Contact the Data Management Program at DOLDLDSIHPSSupport@dol.wa.gov or 360-902-0154 to request an Internet Query System (IHPS) Access Application.
- Complete the application.
- The contact name should be the individual who directly oversees the functions in your agency.
- Be clear about your division responsibilities; we use this information to determine if you're eligible for access.
- You won't find the data-sharing agreement in the application or on this website. The agreement will be developed specifically for your agency, and will be sent to you at the appropriate point in the application process.
- Print the completed application, sign and date it, and fax or email the application to the location given in the upper right corner of the application.
- We'll review your application. If your agency is eligible for access, we'll develop a data-sharing agreement for your agency and mail you the following documents:
- 2 copies of the data-sharing agreement.
- An instructional cover letter.
- An Internet Query System (IHPS) Appropriate Use Declaration template.
- An Internet Query System (IHPS) User List template to provide a list of individual users in your organization that will apply for access to IHPS.
- An Internet Query System (IHPS) User List Modification template. You must use this template to notify us every time you add, remove, or change information on a user.
- When you receive these items, review the agreement with each user who is applying for access. Have each user sign the Appropriate Use Declaration verifying that they understand the requirements for appropriate use of IHPS. Maintain these Appropriate Use Declaration templates in your office employee files as long as the user has access to the application.
- Sign both copies of the data-sharing agreement. It's up to your organization to determine the appropriate person to review and sign the agency agreement (normally this is the contract manager).
- Complete the Internet Query System (IHPS) User List template.
- Be sure to provide each user's name exactly as it will appear when they apply for the digital certificate with Transact Washington or registration with SecureAccess Washington.
- Indicate if each user is accessing IHPS through a digital certificate for Transact Washington (only needed for highly restricted data such as a Social Security number) or through SecureAccess Washington. For more information, see the table below.
- Mail the completed user list and both copies of the signed data-sharing agreement to us at the address given in the cover letter and template. We recommend you keep a copy of the user list for reference, since users must provide their name exactly as listed on the IHPS User list when they apply for the digital certificate for Transact Washington or registration with SecureAccess Washington.
- We'll mail a fully executed copy of the agreement back to you.
- Each user must apply for either a roaming digital certificate for Transact Washington (if they must access highly restricted data such as a Social Security number) or a SecureAccess Washington account before receiving access to IHPS.
- If a user accesses IHPS with a SecureAccess Washington account, there is no charge.
- If a user accesses IHPS with a digital certificate for Transact Washington, there is a $20 fee every 2 years.
Differences between a digital certificate and SecureAccess Washington
A digital certificate and SecureAccess Washington have different costs, billing processes, information required for registration, data availability, registration authorization processes, renewal processes, and access restrictions.
|Digital certificate||SecureAccess Washington|
|Cost||$20 every 2 years for each user||None|
|Billing process||Payment made for each user directly to IdenTrust.||None|
|Information required from the applicant||IdenTrust registration
||SecureAccess Washington registration
|Information required for Department of Licensing registration||
|Data available from IHPS||Social Security number will be shown on records retrieved from IHPS database, if available.||Social Security Number won't be shown on records retrieved from the IHPS database.|
|Registration authorization process||We check the name of the applicant against the user list.||We check the name of the application against the user list, and verify authorization by contacting the agency supervisor for confirmation.|
|Renewal process||Digital certificates must be renewed every 2 years.||SecureAccess Washington passwords should be changed regularly, preferably every 60 days.|
|Access locations||Access is restricted to computers with a valid digital certificate installed. Authorization is based on the digital certificate security level, your User ID, and password.||Access is available on any computer with Internet access. Authorization is based on your User ID and password.|