Financial responsibility (SR-22)

What is financial responsibility?

It's proof you have a way to pay for any damages you may cause while driving.

Who needs to file proof of financial responsibility?

Anyone who has:

  • Been convicted of, or forfeited bail for, certain offenses.
  • Failed to pay judgments.
  • Driven or owned a vehicle involved in an accident.

What is considered acceptable proof?

You have 3 options:

  • SR22 Insurance written for Washington State by an approved insurance company.
  • Certificate of deposit for at least $60,000, issued by us (DOL). See Certificate of deposit.
  • Liability bond for at least $60,000. You can get this from any surety or bonding company authorized to do business in Washington.

How long do I have to provide proof of financial responsibility?

In most cases, 3 years from the date you're eligible to reinstate your license. See Learn how to reinstate your license to find out how long you need to have proof of financial responsibility.

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Call us: 360.902.3900 (TTY: Call 711)

Was this information helpful?